Saturday, March 8, 2008

Plant of the Moment-Saccharum arundinaceum (Hardy Sugar Cane)


The plant of the moment is the saccharum arundinaceum just now sitting on my kitchen table. I've been wanting this majestic beauty for quite a while now. I visited Niche Gardens last fall with a list in hand. Saccharum arundinaceum was first on that list. Upon arrival, on a gorgeous fall day, fellow plant fanatic in tow, I cast many hours of research to the wind and went crazy for their selection of native shrubs. It was only upon arrival home that I checked that list again to see if I had actually purchased anything on it. Of course I hadn't and of course I still NEEDED all those plants on that list. So I was delighted when I found out that this spring we are adding saccharum arundinaceum to our grass house. I will plant it in the back of a bed of various pennisetum and miscanthus where it should provide a gorgeous backdrop to these two shorter grasses.

The reason I think of this hardy sugar cane as majestic is because of its height of 10-15 feet. When I saw one in the fall in full glory I could not keep my eyes off of it. It certainly commands attention.

I definitely feel a blog or two on grasses coming up.

No comments: