Monday, March 3, 2008

Plant of the moment-Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious'

Pineapple sage has a lovely, fruity scent, is deer resistant, very heat tolerant and is also drought tolerant though is happier with regular moisture. Even though it is supposed to be perennial, in my zone 8 gardens I have had to plant it every spring. I like the 'Golden Delicious' variety since it doesn't bloom till early fall so the chartreuse leaf color makes it a standout even when not in bloom. In the south it likes full morning sun, if planted in afternoon sun the leaves will become a bit scorched. Walking through the herb greenhouses this weekend I kept getting the distinct feeling I was walking through Juicy Fruit Gum. It wasn't until my third pass past the salvias that I realized it was the pineapple sage that was giving me this sensory delight. One of the them was quite mixed up...thinking it early fall and blooming its head off. For this reason Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious' is my plant of the moment.

No comments: